La Boite is a story of people, passion, purpose and place.
We hold a unique place in the hearts and minds of artists and audiences in Brisbane. For the past nine decades La Boite has represented the adventurous and alternative. There has always been a strong focus on the development of new work and artists, and today it is no different.
The stories, ideas and voices of our city and country are many and varied and as such La Boite seeks to represent and engage in this beautiful and rich diversity; the diversity of form, of ideas, ethnicity, gender – of identity.
Theatre has the capacity to embrace difference in so many ways. This year we push the boundaries of form by collaborating with some extraordinary partners to stretch theatrical, visual and musical boundaries. We play with cabaret, puppets, classical text, hip-hop, the theatrical and extraordinary talents. We hope that this varied menu will enliven and inspire our existing audiences and draw new audiences to share in the La Boite experience – the experience and magic of live performance in our unique Roundhouse Theatre.
As we diversify our programming we look to deepen your experience with us. There are so many ways to engage with La Boite for people of all ages and backgrounds – check out our Participation page on this website for more details.
In 2017 we continue our commitment to accessible theatre by once again offering all preview tickets at $30. New work needs testing in the crucible of the live audience experience. Previews are a working time for our artists and productions may still need to develop during these performances, but if you’re passionate about the process then get in early and grab a bargain!
There are lots of ways you can support La Boite, including through making a donation, becoming a corporate partner or volunteering.
Each year we’re delighted to share with you our program of exciting productions that bring together our most talented local and national artists, engage in the discourse around the stories we tell and encourage you to participate in your La Boîte.
La Boite Archive
90 years of existence takes resilience and ingenuity. La Boite has survived two World Wars, censorship, public outrage, politically-charged programming, changing tastes, floods and the constant flirting with failure that comes with walking the tightrope between risk and certainty. Ultimately, La Boite’s history is your history. Whether you have been with us for years or are new to the fold, we welcome you to join us as we move into our next 90 years.
Explore our history on our archive → 90years.laboite.com.au
Work with us
La Boite is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.
We are currently seeking a Creative Producer.
About the role
La Boite Theatre Company is seeking an experienced, dynamic and motivated Creative Producer to work with the Artistic Director in the development and delivery of La Boite’s artistic programs including performance program, development program and touring activities. Position to commence in early March 2017.
The Creative Producer will need at least three years of relevant producing or arts management experience and will have strong working relationships with artists. To support our strategic focus on diversity, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) or Indigenous applicants, and those applicants with experience working with diverse artists and communities, will be highly regarded. The ideal candidate will have significant experience producing new work, and developing and managing innovative programs. You will need to be comfortable working independently, be a good communicator and be highly organised. This position is an excellent opportunity for a motivated producer who thrives on working in a fast-paced and creative environment.
Generally 38 hours/week
Some outside office-hours work and travel required.
Artistic Director/CEO on artistic issues, General Manager on operational/financial matters.
Youth & Participation Producer and any Associate or Project Producer(s)
Initiate, develop, manage and supervise La Boite’s artistic development programs, initiatives, special projects.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to contribute to curating of annual program and its delivery, including providing artistic/dramaturgical feedback on artistic work in all stages of development.
- Actively support company strategic goals to connect and collaborate with diverse artists and communities.
- In collaboration with Artistic Director and General Manager, develop and co-ordinate national and international tours and transfers and co-ordinate events pertaining to growing La Boite’s profile outside of Queensland such as performing arts markets and showcases in close consultation.
- Act as central artist liaison for all creatives working at La Boite and coordinate all casting, general auditions and artist enquiries.
- Support the General Manager in the producing of La Boite’s performance season, including casting, contracting, artist logistics and travel.
- Work with the General Manager, Artistic Director and Philanthropy & Development Manager to identify, research, apply for and acquit government grants and creative initiatives.
Work closely with the Artistic Director to contribute to curating of annual program and its delivery, including providing artistic/dramaturgical feedback on artistic work in all stages of development.
- Research, develop and negotiate potential programming opportunities under direction of Artistic Director and General Manager
- Support Artistic Director in researching and developing local, national and international industry links to extend the Company’s artistic practice
- Manage the creative development budget and all current and prospective commissions
- Create and produce special projects as required
- Regularly attend production rehearsals, design presentations etc and provide consultative critical feedback to creatives involved
- Disseminate intellectual and artistic ideas and concepts to aid the creative process
- Attend all company creative developments and provide consultative critical feedback to creatives, ensuring the development remains creatively dynamic, current and of an international standard
- Participate as member of senior management team
- Represent the Company at industry events and functions as required
Actively support company strategic goals to connect and collaborate with diverse artists and communities.
- Actively connect with CALD and Indigenous artists in consultation with the Artistic Director and General Manager
- Support La Boite’s diverse Artists-in-Residence and Assistant Creatives in the development of their work and practice
In collaboration with Artistic Director and General Manager, develop and co-ordinate national and international tours and transfers and co-ordinate events pertaining to growing La Boite’s profile outside of Queensland including performing arts markets and showcases.
- Identify potential touring partners through proactively linking La Boite works to relevant locations or markets, presenting works at touring showcases and performing arts markets
- Act as point of contact for touring presenters, venues and festivals, working closing with Artistic Director and General Manager
- In collaboration with the production department, General Manager and stakeholders plan, manage and produce contracted tours nationally and internationally
- Coordinate Company attendance at touring showcases and markets nationally and internationally, with a view to growing La Boite’s touring partners
- Contract all artists employed at La Boite across all platforms and programs
- Arrange all travel and accommodation requirement for all visiting artists
- Act as first point of call for all artists working at La Boite responding to all artists’ enquiries as required
- Develop relations with artists and agents and provide support to the Artistic Director by scheduling and coordinating auditions
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of the audition process including scheduling, liaison with directors, and liaison with agents/actors
- Communicate with the Artistic Director and General Manager on all successful artist auditions for casting approval and confirmation of offers
Support the General Manager in the producing of La Boite’s performance season, including casting, contracting, artist logistics and travel.
- Work with General Manager to make all artist offers for the performance season
- Prepare all artist contracts for the performances season and liaise with Assistant Accountant regarding scheduling payment of artists
- Coordinate all travel, accommodation, allowances and other artist logistics
- Schedule and manage meet & greet for all new productions
- Coordinate rehearsal venue bookings as required
Work with the General Manager, Artistic Director and Philanthropy & Development Manager to identify, research, apply for and acquit government grants and creative initiatives.
- Research grants and initiatives through government bodies, trusts, peak bodies, not for profit organizations and foundations to support the company’s creative output, creative development, residencies and new projects
- Prepare grant applications and acquittals in consultation with General Manager and Philanthropy & Development Manager
- Other duties as from time to time required
- Knowledge of and experience in the Australian performing arts sector
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in devising and implementing artistic development programs or projects
- Experience working with diverse artists and/or communities
- Demonstrated ability to work with a high level of initiative to tight deadlines and provide innovative thinking
- The ability to work collaboratively and provide support within a busy and challenging team environment where appropriate
How to Apply
Your application should include the following:
- A cover letter highlighting your key skills and experience and addressing the Selection Criteria
- A current resume, including contact details for two referees
Please email your application by 5pm on Monday 30 January with Creative Producer in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
La Boite Theatre Company
La Boite holds an iconic place in the hearts and minds of artists and audiences in Brisbane. For the past nine decades La Boite has represented the adventurous and alternative. There has always been a strong focus on the development of new work and artists, and today it is no different. The stories, ideas and voices of our city and country are many and varied and La Boite seeks to represent and engage in this beautiful and rich diversity; the diversity of form, of ideas, ethnicity, gender, age, sexuality – of identity.
A locally, nationally and internationally impactful theatre company known for its daring, passion and connectedness.
To create exhilarating theatre that embraces audiences and elevates artists through its engagement with its community.
At the core of La Boite are the artists and their process. We believe in long term investment in development. We believe in discipline, patience and flexibility in our creative interactions.
We embed diversity in all we do. We acknowledge the traditional owners where we create and are responsive and inclusive with our audiences and artists.
We make work that is connected to our communities locally and globally. We respond to our environment, provoke change and encourage debate.
La Boite has a long history of creating opportunities for young and emerging artists. We offer internships in a wide range of activities, from direction, production design and stage management to marketing.
We encourage applications from the professional sphere as well as the tertiary sector, but particularly welcome students of QUT and Southbank Institute. We are not able to provide work experience opportunities for high school students.
Our Internship Program allows students, graduates, and others to experience the inner workings of a professional theatre from every angle. It fosters the development of emerging arts practitioners, and also facilitates the learning of a range of skills in communication, research, management, problem solving, teamwork, and independent critical thinking.
If you wish to express an interest in a particular area, email email@example.com
La Boite staff & board
La Boite board
Julian Myers (Chair), Richard Hundt (Treasurer), Vivienne Anthon (Deputy Chair), Graham Bethune, Gina Fairfax, Kevin O’Brien, Lynn Rainbow Reid AM & John Scherer.
La Boite staff
Artistic Director & CEO Todd MacDonald
General Manager Katherine Hoepper
Creative Producer Glyn Roberts
Youth & Participation Producer Claire Christian
Assistant Accountant Roxane Eden
Development & Philanthropy Manager Jackie Maxwell
Development & Philanthropy Coordinator Roselle Forman
Marketing & PR Manager Violetta Tosic
Marketing Coordinator Stephanie Pickett
Graphic Designer James Bourbon
Head of Production Don Mackenzie
Head Technician Keith Clark
Workshop Coordinator Andrew Mills
Venue Operations Manager Jessica Ralph
Ticketing and Administration Officer Sarah Maunsell
Front of House Staff Tom Bellas, Jess Bunz, Patrick Hayes, Emma Joenpolvi, Elizabeth Jones, Finley Kube, Maddie Little, Lucy Lott, Senayt Mebrahtu, Charlotte Moutrey, Remi Roehrs
La Boite would like to thank all of our hardworking volunteers:
Claire Agente, Jessie Anema, Lewis Atkinson, Brooke Austen, Gene Banyard, Olivia Batchelor, David Bentley, Linda Bulloch, Natalie Callaghan, Cath Carkeet, Ric Carthew, David Casey, Kerrel Casey, Russell Cockerill, Tony Cole, Tony Costantini, Rhumer Diball, Evie Dulnuan, Sho Eba, Georgia Eyers, Shane Fell, Liesl Filippi, Bruce Finlayson, Léonie Flood, Matt Gaffney, Jessica Gould, Jessica Haack, Declan Hale, Erin Handford, Rosie Hazel, Emma Healy, Rebecca Hull, Greg Johnson, Albina Karami, Anne Kelley, Sharon Laycock, Billie Letts, Jeannie Lloyd-Apjohn, Shirley Markie, Ashley Mcgregor, Tait Mcgregor, Nathan Mills, Racheal Missingham, Mary Murphy, Brooklyn Pace, Steve Pager, Jane Paterson, Paige Purvey, Livio Regano, Lara Rix, Elia Roehrs, Mikaela Sanders, Sophie Sassman, Nicholas Seery, Brodie Shelley, Sascha Shipley, Brenton Smith, Estelle Snowball, Damian Tatum, Jordan Tselepy, Ellen Tuffley, Tanith Underwood, Alycia Warner, Bruce Finlayson, Livio Regano, Shelli Ward, Alycia Warner, Cassandra Waterford, Georgia Weddell, Emma Windress, Josie Wivell, Shez Wright, Vittorio Yun, Bri Zammit.
Theatre hire at La Boite
La Boite’s Roundhouse Theatre is an epic-intimate space and Australia’s only purpose-built theatre-in-the-round. It’s also flexible enough to be used as a thrust stage with the audience on three sides. This 400-seat home stage offers a distinctive theatre experience. Both the Roundhouse Theatre and La Boite’s Rehearsal Room are available for hire during certain periods of the year. Our facilities are also suitable for:
- Cocktail functions
- Christmas Parties
- Industry Forums & Lectures
- Off-site Staff Workshops
- Award Presentation Nights
For enquiries about hiring our theatre please contact:
(07) 3007 8600
We also stock a variety of lighting, sound and AV equipment that is available for hire. If you’re not sure what item is best for the job, give us a call – we’ll be happy to help you make the right choice.
For enquiries about hiring our technical equipment, please contact:
Head of Production
(07) 3007 8600
La Boite Theatre Company’s Workshop is a multi-use event/film/television set construction space located in Yeronga, South Brisbane. The Workshop can be used as your set-building headquarters for your next project or can be hired as a TV/film shoot location.
We are able to offer specialist equipment hire and provide you with access to our in-house carpentry expert. We regularly use our Workshop to construct theatre set pieces and have an open floor space of approx. 8m x 13m with a clear working height of 5.5m.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your project for additional information, and our Production Crew will be in contact as soon as possible.