HWY is an annual festival that encourages artists to stretch boundaries and take risks, inviting audiences to enter into a dialogue around new work and theatre practice.
Over an action packed two-weeks, HWY attendees are invited to participate in readings, showings, workshops, masterclasses, conversations, and pitches. These events provide a platform for the industry and wider arts community to engage in robust dialogue about the future of theatre in Brisbane.
HWY artists hail from diverse backgrounds, recognised by La Boite for their relevance and potential.
At the heart of the HWY festival of new work is the performance series, which provides opportunities for La Boite Artists in Residence, Associate Artists, and local practitioners to road-test new work in various stages of development, in front of an engaged and theatre literate audience.
This is where you come in – we would like to hear about what you are working on how it aligns with what HWY has to offer.
We are not looking for completed works, but rather pieces and ideas that have begun a trajectory of development and could benefit from a presentation in front on an audience. This might be in the form of a reading (moved or seated), but could also take other forms including a live demonstration, lecture, or an entirely new model - we are interested in everything, as long as production needs are minimal and the concept is rigorous and engaging, with strong ideas at the forefront of your practice.
La Boite will allocate a budget for each work to cover artist fees for a day of rehearsal. Rehearsal space, in-house resources and staff, as well as artistic and administrative support are all inclusive.
Additional needs will be considered on a case by case basis – please detail all of your requirements in the application.
How to apply?
To apply for the 2019 HWY festival, please address the following questions in no more than 2 A4 pages and email your application to La Boite’s Creative Producer, Sanja Simic, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· What is your project or piece?
· Who is involved (artists and/or creative team)?
· Explain where you are in the process of creation or development of your work and what is your vision for the final outcome?
· Why does the work need to happen at La Boite? Why in 2019?
· How would like an audience to access your work at this stage of development? Are you aiming to present a reading, excerpt and conversations, a pitch etc.
Please include up to 2 pieces of supporting material, including (but not limited to):
· A current CV, which demonstrates your skills and experience;
· Images (up to 5 high res)
· Scripts/excerpts of written text
· Video (up to 10 minutes)
· A link to your website or preferred online platform
· A letter of support from an industry professional that speaks to your suitability for HWY.
Who can apply?
Individuals, groups and companies can apply for the HWY festival of new work. You must be a practicing artist or arts worker and an Australian citizen.
When do applications close?
Friday 1 November 2019, midnight.
Applicants will be notified by late-January 2019.
The 2020 HWY festival of new work is supported by the Brisbane Airport Corporation and Screen QLD.