1.0 What is personal information?
2.0 Collecting personal information
2.1 What kind of personal information do we collect?
We may collect and hold personal information about you, that is, information that can identify you and is relevant to providing you with the services you are seeking. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- your name;
- your contact details (address, telephone number(s) and email address);
- transactional information you provide when you make a purchase with us (for example, credit card details);
- personal information you provide when you commence a business relationship with us;
- any correspondence between you and us; and
- any other personal information you provide when you make an inquiry, request information, enter a competition, respond to marketing, lodge a complaint, provide feedback, seek employment with La Boite or correspond with us.
2.2 Reasons for collecting your personal information
The personal information that we collect and hold about you, depends on your interaction with us. Generally, we collect your personal information to enable us to provide you with the products, services and information you request. In particular, we may collect, use and hold your personal information to:
- determine your requirements in order to provide you with appropriate products and services;
- process your online purchases and issue you with tickets to performances;
- notify you of changes to performance details or cancelled performances;
- replace and re-issue you with lost tickets;
- contact you in relation to lost property and to return lost property to you;
- provide you with information about upcoming performances or events;
- recommend to you other services we or selected partners offer which may be of interest to you;
- process any communications you send to us (for example, responding to your queries, assessing your application for employment, and dealing with any complaints or feedback you have);
- identify you and protect you from unauthorised access to your personal information;
- where you have provided us with your consent - help us develop and improve the services to our patrons, for example by conducting marketing and research;
- get in touch with you if we need to;
- do anything which you authorise or consent to us doing; or
- take any action we are required or authorised by law to take.
2.3 Failure to provide information
If you do not provide us with your personal information, it is generally not possible for us to provide you with the products or services you have requested (for example, to issue you tickets to performances). Where it is lawful and practical to do so, we may allow you to deal with us anonymously.
2.4 How do we collect personal information
Wherever possible, we always try to collect personal information directly from you - for example, when you:
- become an email subscriber;
- purchase performance tickets from us - either online, over the phone, at the La Boite Box Office or at one of our authorised outlets;
- request information over the internet or telephone;
- enter a competition run by us; or
- correspond with us.
We may also obtain your personal information from third parties we deal with, such as:
- event organisers, promoters, performance companies, venues, sponsors and our business partners to whom you have provided your personal information; and
- from time to time, providers of third party applications which collect and share information.
There may, however, be some instances where personal information about you will be collected indirectly because it is unreasonable or impractical to collect personal information directly from you. We will usually notify you about these instances in advance, or where that is not possible, as soon as reasonably practicable after the information has been collected.
We may also collect personal information from third parties you refer to us. If we do so, we will assume, and you will ensure, that you have made that third party aware of the referral and the purpose(s) of the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal information to us. When you communicate with La Boite through social media sites or using applications provided by third parties (such as via your smart phone), we may collect your personal information from that communication. We assume that you have informed yourself of the ways in which such sites or applications can collect and disclose your personal information, and that you otherwise consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by such sites or applications (including disclosure to, and collection by, La Boite).
3.0 Disclosing your personal information
3.1 Who we may disclose your personal information to
Generally, we only use or disclose personal information about you for the purposes for which it was collected (set out above). We may disclose your personal information to:
- businesses that provide us with services (for example, Tessitura);
- any entity to which we are authorised or required by law to disclose your personal information (for example, law enforcement agencies, various Federal, State or Local Government bodies and public health agencies);
- our affiliated organisations to facilitate our and their internal business processes;
- any specific parties which we have advised you of at the time we collect your personal information; and
- with your consent (express or implied) - other entities.
The above entities may in turn disclose your personal information to any other entities as described in their privacy policies or statements. In some circumstances, the law may permit or require us to use or disclose personal information for other purposes (for instance where you would reasonably expect us to and the purpose is related to the purpose of collection).
3.2 Direct marketing, subscriptions and disclosure to third parties
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information about our products and services.
By applying to become a La Boite email subscriber, you are taken to have consented to us sending you the requested newsletters and information, and also other information about upcoming performances and other products and services offered by La Boite and its partners.
3.3 Stopping marketing and promotional material from La Boite
You may change your decision at any time in the future by contacting us (details below) or by changing your preferences in your online account. If you tell us you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional material from us, we will not send you any such material. If you change your mind in the future and wish to receive marketing or promotional material from us, please contact us.
We will still continue to send you required service related emails, such as booking confirmation emails and tickets.
3.4 Stopping marketing and promotional material from third parties
As a general rule, if third parties have received your personal information, their handling of your personal information will be governed by their privacy policies. In some cases, it may also be necessary for you to contact the relevant organisations to notify them of your decision.
4.0 Storing your personal information
La Boite will take precautions to safeguard your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, interference, modification or disclosure.
As a general rule, we store your personal information in our electronic databases. From time to time, La Boite may engage service providers to store personal information. Such service providers could have servers located overseas. This means that personal information may sometimes be sent overseas for storage, for example in the United Kingdom and United States of America. We take reasonable steps to ensure that our service providers are carefully chosen and have policies, procedures and systems in place to keep personal information secure.
When your personal information is no longer required and if permitted by law, we will destroy or delete it from our systems in a secure manner. However, we may be required by law to retain certain information - for example, under the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld).
5.0 Accessing and correcting your personal information
If you wish to have access to any documents held by us which contain your personal information, please contact us (details below).
Please note that we may ask you to make your request in writing and provide us with evidence of your identity (for example, we may ask you to provide us with photo identification, such as a copy of your current driver's licence or passport). We may charge you a reasonable fee for processing your request (but not for making a request for access).
Please also note that under some circumstances under the Privacy Act or other legislation, we may not be able to provide you with the access you have requested, and if we do, we will provide you with a written notice that sets out the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons).
To effectively conduct our business with you, it is important that the personal information we hold about you is complete, accurate and current. At any time while we hold your personal information, we may ask you to tell us of any changes to your personal information. If, upon receiving access to your personal information, or at any other time, you are aware that the personal information we hold needs to be corrected or updated, please contact us (details below). We take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date. Under certain circumstances in the Privacy Act, we may not be required to correct your personal information. If we refuse to correct your personal information, we will provide you with a written notice that sets out the reasons for our refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons) and provide you with a statement regarding the mechanisms available to you to make a complaint.
Also, we may not be able to require third parties or our business partners to provide you with access to the personal information they hold about you.
6.0 Dealing with La Boite online
6.1 La Boite’s website
We take reasonable steps to maintain the security of cookie and personal information we collect online. If your browser is suitably encrypted, it will advise you whether the information you are sending us will be secure (encrypted) or unsecure (unencrypted).
When you purchase tickets online from us, we use an industry approved 128 bit SSL (Secure Socket Layers) software (a 128 bit cryptographic algorithm called triple DES) to protect the information you transmit to us during the transaction. SSL software encrypts any information you input.
We seek to keep current with available security and encryption technology so as to maintain the effectiveness of our security systems. However, no transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure and accordingly, we cannot warrant or ensure the security of any information you provide to us over the Internet. Please note that you transmit information at your own risk.
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors may collect certain information about your visit. Examples of such information may include:
Site visit information - we and/or contractors may collect general information about your visit to the La Boite website. This information may include your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed and the type of Internet browser you use. We and/or our contractors use this information in an anonymous, aggregated form, for statistical purposes to assist us with improving the quality of our website.
We do not transmit your personal information by e-mail externally unless you have given your consent (expressly or impliedly) to us doing so. An example of how you may have impliedly given your consent may be when you e-mail us your personal information and require us to reply to you by e-mail, or you do not object when we advise you that we intend to forward your information to a third party by e-mail. Please note that email correspondence may be monitored by our website support staff for system trouble shooting and maintenance purposes.
6.2 Links to third party websites
7.0 Complaints and feedback
If you have a complaint about how we handled your personal information or a breach of the Privacy Act, Australian Privacy Principles or a privacy code that applies to us, please contact us (details below) and we will take reasonable steps to investigate the complaint and respond to you. Please note that we will ask you to lodge your complaint in writing. We will:
- within 14 business days of receiving your complaint in writing - acknowledge receipt of your complaint; and
- within 45 business days of receiving your complaint - investigate the circumstances of your complaint and provide you with a response.
- If you are not happy with our response, you may complain directly to the federal Information Commissioner.
9.0 Our contact details
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- in writing: The Privacy Officer La Boite PO Box 232 RED HILL LPO QLD 4059
- by telephone: (07) 3007 8600
10.0 More information
For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the Federal Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.
Last updated September 2022.